Sunday, March 25, 2012

fashioning jewelry from the tool drawer

I've seen this idea on Pinterest quite a bit, but now that double and triple wrap bracelets with hardware are a hot trend, I had to try it out for myself. I must say, this project is super easy and all you need are:

-nylon paracord (I've seen these made with twine, suede and leather cord as well)
-hex nuts
-a pair of scissors

Basically, you're going to start by cutting your cord into three equally sized strips. If you want to double or triple up your bracelet, make your strips extra long. Mine were about a 16 inches and that made for a good double with extra fabric for knotting a closure later.

Once you have your 3 strips, knot them together and begin a simple braid. Pull the fabric tight and try to make the braiding even. About 3 inches of braiding in, you're going to start including your hex nuts, or hardware. Slip a hex nut on the end of the strip you're about to cross over into the braid. You're going to put one hex nut on every time you cross another strip into the braid. Just make sure to pull tight and the hex nuts will end up pointing upwards and the following ones will follow suit.

After putting on your hex nuts (I used about 20, which may be a bit much for those who like a little less bling), continue the braid and make sure to pull tight. Continue braiding until you reach the end of the strips and knot the end. Once you measure how many times you want to wrap the bracelet and where the suitable closure point for your wrist should be, make a knot and knot both ends together. I wish I had a less clunky way to secure this part of the bracelet, but for me, it still works.

And this is how my double wrap with neon green paracord came out!
Hope you enjoy! Happy crafting!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment